Just came back from the LSCT FOC camp. One word: Fantastic! We get all dirty and have fun most of the time. Too bad for poeple who did not go to the camp. Games I will not forget is Earthworm Jim and the telematch, as well as the tedious waiting for the activities. My team name is Magma. A list of the cheers which I've learned is in my Poems page.
I lost my T-shirt during the Mass Game (which is like Telematch to those Jurongians reading this) which is very dirty. We have to eat raw tow gay (beansprouts) which tastes horrible. The Pepcicans was thankfully eaten by some good samaritians. As for the celeries, I eat them all. They taste disturbingly like parsley. After that and being pelted by GLs with mud water bombs in 'the Milky Way', we have to fill a bucket with water. The catch is that the water source is like 100 metres away. So, we the boys have to use our shirts to get the water and the girls have to squeeze the water out. Excellent teamwork there Magma!!! That's when the problem starts. My T-shirt got lost and I've to wear someone else's. But the neck space is too big and it looks like I'm wearing some bareback shirt and baring my chestless chest. Of course I became the laugh of the boys in the group.
I will never forget the mass water bomb fight we had in the car park. Us against the devils: the GLs. It was total carnage as water bombs fly past like water from the musical fountain. We kind of has less ammo then them. That's why we kinda lost but they suffered more head shots then us. Us Magma's even prepared many mud bombs and bazookas (bombs with more water) for our GLs. The ironic thing is the stars were shining so beautifully on the sky above us when all this carnage is happening. If you get the chance you must look at the Ngee Ann night sky. They sky is filled with numerous twinkling stars that is a rare sight in Singapore.
The night walk is really scary as Ngee Ann really has ghosts and we went through the most haunted block. Not to say for the long wait (Freshies leave in pairs in timed intervals). We played jii nai (which means squeeze milk in chinese) as well as 007 to keep us awake. Really really fun games these are. Together with Becky, we bravely went through all obstacles and fears, past all the hell notes, as well as the GLs trying to scare us. It is not I'm afraid of ghosts. I'm a pagan. I'm not going to be afraid of spirits. But the thing is some of them scream so loud my eardrums might burst. The corridors and staircases are really dark too. Anybody who knows me know that I'm afraid of the dark. Then out of nowhere pops out two real, human security guards. Really scary and pissed at the same time. They were like 'why are you here' and 'don't you know you are not supposed to be up here?' Boo. After we are done with the night walk we have wait for a backbreaking don't know how long for the other members to finish theirs.
Which comes to the weakness of the camp: Alot of waiting! And when we are waiting we cheer. Or song. And the GLs really really really like the Moonlight Bay song. Kept singing and singing and singing...
We've got a mass dance session where we did the chicken dance, peace by the river, hippo e tai tai and the Line. Really fun. You should have been there.
Leaving the camp left me very sad and I cried when the camp was officially done and the song 'the Reason' by Hoobastanks was played. I became so emotional.
It has been a motivating and inspiring experience. Qian Ni, Ken and Fiona, as well as Ben, Thomas and Kenneth, our GLs, without your enthusiasm and support we might not have so much fun. Qian Ni especially, who so graciously bought Chuan Pei Pi Pa Gao, Strepsils and Honey for us. Even though sometimes we were a bit noisy and annoying they were patient and I respect that. They did not sleep and eat well, and poor Fiona got sick. All of you made the flags and identities for us. We have still much to learn from all of you.
My fellow Magma teammates which I'm close to:
Colin, thanks for being so enthu and charismatic. Your many promtings and cheering ons has sparked of many a fun time for me and the group.
Chris, who make such a good conversationalist, and always telling me why am I 'stoning'. Cedric, who has great leadership skills and is very enthu and sporting. However, you lack a bit of confidence to believe in yourself. Do not just let people believe in you, believe in yourself, and I'm sure you will shine one day. Thank you for leading all our cheers and getting your poor throat voiceless.
Edwin, who has been such a good friend. Be more confident in yourself: you are better then you think you are.
Jia Wan, for not being angry with me for not being able to remember your name until the end of the course.
Lionel, who is a great speaker and an even greater friend.
Alex, because of you I've to change my name to R.F. Happy now? Huh? Just joking. Though at some time you spuring them on to laugh at my barebackness due to That T'shirt, I am very proud to have you in our group. Your ideas kept our group sharp and light up our lives.
Yan Hong, another Hard-To-Remember name. Jap girl (though she is not really a Jap), your sportyness (does 'come on everybody' and 007's Ahh!! ring a bell??) light up out camp lives.
Rebecca, one of the first who I remember because you are in HLM. Your enthu and steadfast attitude is your mai tian (selling point) and hope to see you soon for class.
Lisa, same here for you, hope to see you in class. When our legs got tied and I've to lead you past a 'minefield', I am grateful for your trust in me.
Becky, who's actual name is Rebecca but graciously gave that up because then we will have to Rebeccas and that would be a problem, would'nt it? Thanks for accompaning me for the night walk. You being brave and respectful to the hell notes and everything really deserves praises. You are also very crafty like Yan Hong in 007, killing many a people with only one bang.
Jia Mi, who I've interacted two times in a row but still got the name wrong until the end of the camp. Sorry!!! You straightforward attitude is unforgettable.
Camelia, who i've interacted many a time but I've not known because I've always confuses you with Sharon. Conversations with you proves nice and refreshing.
Pali, who is the 'longest' in Magma in almost every aspect: hair, legs... you are nice and sporting but it is sad for me not to know you better. Maybe next time??
Many GLs as well as freshies lost their voices from all the shouting but not me. I've know how to use my stomach. So I am save. I'm also able to control my emotions better and act accordingly. I have learnt from past experiences that being enthu has certain limits. At one point you want to do your best for your group, at another point you want to make more friends.
It's always good to keep a part of you concealed first then slowly reveal yourselves. This is to prevent people from being felt threatened by you. This is what I call Right Enthusiasm. Talking has to see time too. It is best to speak only when the other person is receptive. That will occur either when you have been asked a question by the later or when both of you are doing relatively nothing and he or she is not talking to anyone else. This is what I call Right Time.
Be ready to join in any group activity. Try your best to join in with the rest. if you don't, you will find yourself mysteriously ostracised. It is not because you are nasty or anything, it is because you do not share a common experience with them and thus have no common interest or topic to talk about. Avoiding responsibility is also taboo. One must avoid to say topics that is sensitive to the speaker, for example, some people is highly religious or maybe they not confident of their looks. Thus, avoid these topics. Say things that are facts that the person likes to hear. People like to hear nice lies, but you however cannot last long that way because your friendship is built upon mist mortar: nothing, falsehood. And always complete your sentence. People will think that you are habouring secrets from them if you don't complete the sentence. This is what I call Right Conversation.
I will become a GL. I feel that it is a rewarding job. But to choose it against NRA dance (if I pass the auditions), I might choose the dance instead if I've to choose only one. I don't know. I'll choose both of them if I can. What I know is that I'm very much motivated and I am ready for the sec 1 camp on Friday.

Our flag! Nice, isn't it? The Gls made it

Two of our GLs: Ken and Qian Ni

Four of the guys in Magma: (from top, clockwise) Lionel, Edwin, Alex and Jia Wan

Group photo. I'm well hidden!