Let me tell you a story. On why Alex is called Alex.
The story started when I was in an arcade, playing KOF o7'. Its thus fighting game thats really fun and has occupied much of me and my brother's times. I love to use the character Shermie, Chizuru and Ralf. Ralf is this very muscular guy wearing a bandana and everything and has a short tempered personality.
At that time, my short name was Charlie, for that matter. Why Charlie (Of course its not Charlie and the Chocolate Factory... I boycott Roald Dhal books.) you might say?
(Shit, if I continue like this I may have to explain why I have all my short names. But oh well.)
Charlie is Street Fighter character, a heavily built US marine with ridiculous hair and a friend of Guile, another heavily built US marine with ridiculous broom-like hair. He has glasses and everything and my pitiful childish brains tell me that I look like him, so there goes. And at that time I figured I need a more... innocent name. They say names have power, and I believe that. So there there I got Charlie as my short name.
So back to Alex. The thing is, at that time, there is another heavily built, Street Fighter guy which I always use, and his name is... you guessed it, Alex. So its really a showdown between Ralf and Alex. And I guess I choose the more common name, Alex. I mean, who in the 9 heavens would call themself Ralf? What if they suddenly make fun of me and called me Ralph Polo?
And Alex got a 'X' in it!!! How many names have an X in it!!!
But of course in that case I might as well call myself Zebra.
And there you have it, Alex.
But of course, those who really know me know that Alex is just a shorter form of my short name (which is, as they say, a short form of lots of names. From Alekxandrene to Alexander, you have many names with that 4 letters in them.)
My full name, is Alexis. (Pronouced as Alex-sis)
Why is that? My friends keep telling me 'Isn't it a girls name?' and things like that.
No. Its a androgynous name. This means it a name that guys and gals can both use. Like Kai Wen, and Jia Hong. Perhaps Xiao Hong (Don't kill me my friend for using your name... :) Alexis is chosen because it is very, very me. I don't know, I think the name reflects my innocent and vulnerable side. Haha.
But now, people call me Alex, RuiFeng or Alexis when they are really serious in talking to me.
I hate people calling me RuiFeng. Why? They keep pronoucing it wrongly, like RuiFong and shit like that. Feng ok? Feng as in the same sound as bee in chinese (mi feng) ok? But no... these people still call me by RuiFong, even though they know that its wrong. Dumb and foolish mortals. RuiFeng is a honourable name, and it means 'I'll light up people's lives and fulfil their truest potential' and things like that. But I don't want it to be defiled ok?
Anyways, RuiFeng is only for those people who know we really well, as in, like a friend, ok? Not for people who thinks they know me very well.
I think I'm gonna adopt Xiao Feng anytime soon. Xiao Feng is what my relatives in my father's side would call me, even those younger then me. I use to hate that name, but I guess it has a kind of cuteness in it. but of course, using that name would be like putting a neon board on your head and shouting 'I'm Gay!' out loud.
But I'm sure it can be used. I cannot be too serious everytime. perhaps a change of names would refreshen me up. I don't know, Xiao Feng sounds like a very energetic name to me.
I find that I become really vulgar (which I am, but I CHOOSE to be refined and sophisticated and intelligent which I believe I'm born to be.) when I get
-Really impatient, annoyed, pissed
-Really hungry
But I think most people would never see me like that... unless you are my good friends, which then you will be surprised. Some of my friends were like 'OMG Alex did you just say that?' and 'Xiang bu tao ne hui shuo zhe zhong hua' ('I never thought you can say such things' in chinese) But the thing is, I am exposed to such environments when I was a youngling and I am infused with such culture, and when I come to my real family, which is much more refined and pure, I was rid of such practises, or so I think. But I guess old habits die hard. Not saying that my godmother's family is bad or anything, but thats how they live, and though vulgarities letter their speeches, they meant no harm. They are genuinely good people who I respect.
But come back to me, yes, I can be vulgar, and don't be extremely surprisd when the cute and pure me starts spilling vulgarities. Not only those of the lesser educated or the unsophisticated can say such profanities. When I do spill it, however, you know I mean it. I would never scould anyone with vulgarities though, not my style.
Bless be.
Well, bless be.