+The writer+

Alex here
20 yrs on earth
since 30th June 1988
alexslowking@hotmail.com

+Yearly Mantra+

"The one true treasure is self purpose."- Alex Lim

+Wish List+
+:Love
+:Big clear crystal ball
+:Chelsea Flower Show
+:Singapore Garden Festival
+:More control over myself

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

WeiQi Buying Day

I HAVE BOUGHT MY VERY OWN WEIQI SET!!!
More importantly,

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

it costs $70!!!

You know what this means?
This means that I had better no go AWOL like what I did with my bicycle (Which is now going back to Gaia). Cause it will surely demoralise me and the faith of my parents.

Lets start from the beginning, shall we?

I take a 1 hour train ride to Bishan, had some bad tasting Vietnamese Fried Rice with papaya juice with milk for lunch. the time was 4.30 pm and I found the Bishan Community Centre and discovered...

That the Singapore WeiQi Association (SWA) is closed. They are opened 7.00pm to 10.30pm on weekdays. Wow.

So 3 hours. What do I do?
Went to the local shopping districts, trying to find an aquarium for the stones, but to no avail.

Went all around Junction 8, to find that it is actually quite small, though its messy interior makes it feel big. Cannot find any red and blue crystal stones to be used for Poly Forum.

Then I discovered the Bishan Community Library!!! Libraries are just what I need to spend the time wisely!!! I browsed through a I chess book, a book on dolls, a book on Quickstep and finally...
A BOOK ON GO!!!
Yes, unfortunately its Chinese. but no problem, my chinese is bad, but not that bad. I can still read the book, which seem to be written by a guy with good humour (though I cannot even pronounce his name). I borrowed the book. After a while, I discovered this book is for beginners like me!!! Fabulous!!!

Had a double espresso with brownies at Dome in Bishan CC. Cost me a FREAKIN $11 BUCKS. Should not have drank that espresso. I don't like it, left me a bad aftertaste even till now. The brownie was very good though.

So, what in the name of Atari (A Weiqi term) costs me $70?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

A leather board (which is given FOC), a PVC 19x19 board, and black and white seeds.
The board I want, the pure wooden one, costs $80 for non-members. The best seeds, made in taiwan, costs $80. Needless to say (this is such a funny phrase. If it is needless to say, why do people still say it?), I did not buy them.

Two of the very nice SWA committee members tell me the low down on the details on membership and the different boards. Do you know it costs $550 for a lifetime membership, $100 for the first year and $50 for subsequent for yearly membership? That'll really burn a hole in my pocket. I do not have the capacity or the insanity to pay that amount yet.

One of them tell me that I've to soak the seed in lukewarm water, with soap, the get rid of the layer of chemicals that coats around the seed. Thanks so much for telling me that! If not, I might have died for poisoning(I'm not known for my hygenic methods).

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Preparing to enjoy their hot bath, these seeds. You are going to be used soon, bwahahaha!

Got to expand on my Josekis (standard maneuvers) and Fusekis (standard positions) and shapes.

In life, your talents and gifts are like black seeds scattered around the board, giving you adavantage for the moment. The good thing is, unlike WeiQi, you can place more than 1 seed every turn sometimes, giving you even more adavantage. However, bad things, bad habits, are the white seeds, which tries to capture your advantages. By wasting time and procrastinating, you are not putting any seeds to fortify your influence, and might fall under the capture of the white seeds. Therefore, focus is required, like going further with your passion, being more passionate about something, be more determined, all these can help to join your advantages together, and who knows? You might even make two Eyes and have a strong influence on the rest of your life.
I've not really devoted my life to anything yet. Even with Fate and Gaia I do not go all out. Therefore, I have decided to focus on WeiQi, to be the best that I can be, to conquer my fear of competition, and to renew my intelligence which is waning. If I constantly am afraid of losing I am not getting anywhere. If I depend on others to keep up my passion I am not going anywhere either. I have to depend on my own.
Weiqi can be used for divination too. Pretty useful board.

With all that Weiqi philosophy aside,

I got my NP blazer on Monday!!! I wear XL cause I'm too long (literally). I'll to wear the NP tie and tie pin also. The tie is very... retro.
Damn must buy white shirt for Poly Forum. SEE WHAT I HAVE TO DO FOR YOU PF. :)

The world might not spin around you, but you can make it spin with you.
The situation might not be favourable to you, but you can make the situation work for you.
The people you meet might not like you, but you can make them useful to you.
The truth might hurt to you, but you can always lie to you.



alexangelos made an imprint at 9/12/2006 09:11:00 PM

+Tagboard+



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

+Links+
~+Yvonne+~
~+Friendster+~
~+Blogger+~
~+Blogskins+~
~+Magic The Gathering+~
~+Ker HuiLing+:
~+Poems by Me+:
~+Nick Wu+:

+Archives+
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
December 2010
January 2011
February 2011