+The writer+

Alex here
20 yrs on earth
since 30th June 1988
alexslowking@hotmail.com

+Yearly Mantra+

"The one true treasure is self purpose."- Alex Lim

+Wish List+
+:Love
+:Big clear crystal ball
+:Chelsea Flower Show
+:Singapore Garden Festival
+:More control over myself

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

KYO 2008

Updated

KYO 2008
12 March Wednesday


Well, here it goes.

To go to Sungei Buloh Wetlands Reserve, and you don't have a car, you'll have to take a bus from Kranji MRT (562) and alight at the Bedok Reservoir.

And what part of the Bedok Reservoir? Well, for one thing if you are going there on weekdays, like me for this trip, you'll have no direct bus to the Reserve. You'll have to walk. Very far. Maybe 2km? And if you don't use the Kranji Nature Trail, then you'll have to walk on the road, with no pavement, and there could be dogs lurking. For me, I got 2 dogs, but by the grace of Gaia they found no interest in me and pass me by.

Back at where you alight. You'll alight, during weekdays, at the bus stop where your bus do this ridiculous 3 point turn in the carpark. If you were there you'll know what I mean.

Of course I didn't know all these during that time, so I got off one stop after that essential stop. So I've to walk 1 km more.

But it is all, as are all KYO's, the guiding of Fate.

Photobucket

For one thing, the bus stop is immediately after a long bridge that grants you a beautiful view of the sea. And if you, like me, alight one stop from the ideal (be it due to stupidity, or whatever), you will have to walk on the bridge, and that will expose you to the great currents caused by fast vehicles that travel through and fro past the bridge. Its fun and cooling if you are, well, not wearing any cap (which will fly off if you don't hang on to it) or if its not raining.

Unfortunately, as Fate decrees, once more, I have both. The rain and the cap.

However, the walk on the bridge has granted me a beautiful view of Malaysia, as well as Singapore. As well as soldiers with encampment preventing the Escaper (You know who I mean)from escaping from Singapore, as this is one of the most easiest way for illegal immigrants to come to Singapore.

Photobucket

I did not go there, but from the bridge the deck looks beautiful.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Views of Malaysia. If you're there in my shoes, looking at the beauty that Gaia and Fate is showing me, you'll be awed. On one side is Singapore, and the other is Malaysia, and Singapore is bright and sunny, while Malaysia are downcast by dark clouds, moving closer to Singapore. Amazing sight. The clouds (from the pic) looks like they are reaching down to Earth, granting gifts of rain. One can only gasp at this natural sight.

Photobucket

This is a flower which is found over at the bay beside the bridges. They look like waste tissue paper from afar, but closer inspection reveal its subtle beauty.

Photobucket

Dew on the leaves. Dew are very beautiful, and even more beautiful on pure grass, pure, green grass untainted by human feet.

Photobucket

Flood gates, controlling waters inside Singapore, preventing flooding. From now on all the pics taken are in the rain. Normally it rains during KYOs. Water in ancient times are catalyst for dreams and visions, and I guess Fate wants to give me visions as well.

The whole KYO is in rain, by the way. At times it gets so bad. Your cap gets drenched, your jeans get drenched, and your shoes get drenched too.

Thank goodness, by grace of Fate, I got a stroke of genius.

Photobucket

Boots. The very same I wear when I worked in Nparks. These wll save you during rain. But, rain or not, they are very bad fashion mistakes. So ya. But as always I favour practicality to aesthetics.
As I was saying, the boots will not be much help if it was good weather, as Sungei Buloh isn't very muddy at all, if you stay in the tracks (as you are told to). But I know Gaia will send rain upon me as always for KYOs, so ya the boots really kept me dry where it should. Sometimes along the way there were like 20 cm deep puddles that I just confidently step on without fear of getting wet. Really cool.

Photobucket

You might not be able to see whats in this pic, but its basically 2 coloured water, one that is normal, sea coloured while the other, pretty green with streaks that makes it look like millions of green fishes are amassed there. All these locked behind our flood gates. Beautiful but terrible sight. What pollution does these filth spawn from? I dread to think.


I did not go by the Kranji Nature Trail, cause its just darn hard to find it.

Here's a pic of the entrance from Bedok Reservoir.

Photobucket

Can you like even see it? No right? And this is like 300 metres from the bus stop, so its impossible to see the entrance. The trail is supposed to look natural you see, so even the path leading to the trail is naturalised. In fact, I don't think there's any trail at all.

Any how, I went via the roadway, spotting 2 dogs by the way. The rain got bigger.

Photobucket

The reserve entrance got its own mini trail with pretty nice sights, and some wrong sights like they had (notice the word had) Wedelia planted in the shade of trees, which is dumb as they are sun loving plants. Lots of such mistakes here, so there were many signs of sun loving plants without any of the plants there at all. Oversight.

Photobucket

Oh ya, if you come on weekdays, you'll have to pay. 1 dollar.

Photobucket

Water Hyacinth has such a beautiful purple flower. In many countries these are considered weeds. They grow invasively and suffocates the lake by blocking out sunlight. But for house growing purposes the purple flowers are very pleasing to appreciate.

You'll see these beautiful plants when you walk by the temporary floating bridge erected to the main bridge. The route to the main bridge was under repairs that day.

By the way route 2 and 3 were under service as well, so they were warded and cannot be visited. So I've only route 1 to walk. But Nparks did not say anything up front. So I went by every crook and passageway to find a route to route 2 and 3, but to no avail. And mind you, entrance 1 is very far away from entrance 2 to route 2 and 3.

Of course I did went to the shorter mangrove boardwalk first before I go the main route.

Photobucket

Ooh the secret entrance to fairyland... or hell, depending on your religion.

Photobucket

Secret passageway, only for researchers. The wardens of the Reserve are able to control the water levels of the waters in the wetlands, to promote visitorship of migratory birds and other fauna that dwell in there. They do so with the help of flood gates (no the one I've shown you just now, smaller ones). These secret passages reach hidden places where nests of different animals might dwell, and where rare mangrove groves can be found.

Photobucket

Photobucket

These beautiful sights are taken from the Aerie (or Eyrie, depending on your country, or if you're a Tolkien fan), a tower that allows you phenomenal view of the Wetlands. Its looks almost like those found in the Amazons, but from another angle you can find factories crouching behind the trees.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

These sights are taken in one of the many observation shelters that are within the Reserve, and allows great view of the fauna and flora, without disturbing them.
These wetlands has many worms and other fauna that lives in the mud. Thes creatures are food for the birds. Thus migratory birds use the Reserve as a refueling point. This photo shows the birds.
In normal days, you will not be able to see these birds, but due to the passing of the rain, worms and other foodish creatures immerge from the depths, tempting birds to feast upon them. I am truly blessed by Gaia to allow these sights.

Then the rain poured once more. But still there is much to travel in the Reserve. I realised (as I said earlier) that there is no route to route 2 and 3. But along route 1 more surprises lies in stall.

Photobucket

In another observation deck this is seen. This may look like solid ground, but actually they are floating mud. IF one were to step on it they will surely sink, unless, of course, you are as light as a bird.

Photobucket

Rambutans from the Reserves' herb and spice garden. It seems to me all places have a herb and spice garden.

Photobucket

These might look like a field of plants, but if you step on them you'll sink into the abyss. They are floating plants.

As the rain gets bigger I did not falter. I moved on, determined to find the route that is never there. Yet, the route I must find is that that is always in my mind.

Photobucket

Gaia sends encouragement via a sighting of the tree climbing crab. These crabs surface often, but can only be spotted by seasoned watchers. They climb out of the waters to evade potential predators that might feast upon them.

Photobucket

The rains got even heavier. The rain looked like faeries determined to bar my path. But I my determination is strong. I will not stop till I tread the whole Reserve.

Photobucket

A view from a observation deck. Birds, standing on one of the few mud mounds in the Reserve. These mud mounds are soft and cannot be stood upon by man, yet fauna can find easy passage here. Nonetheless they provide able ground as well as a source of food for these creatures. Mud mounds like these are built in strategic places by the wardens to promote fauna to grow.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Along the finals of my journey there is this deck that has no roof. This amazing place leads to the sea, where no mangroves lie. Yet it offers a view that I regard most extraordinary. For in clearer days one can see Malaysia, but in these rains one can only see a faint shadow of the place, almost like a city in the clouds.

I would like to go further into the deck, to witness more beauty, but there were soldiers on duty, for they seek the Escaper, and the deck is thus barred from vistors as it serve as a base for their operations.

I returned, wet, soaked, but not dull, for my mind still rages with the question that has been since I reach here (more on this later). I went to their coffeehouse to have fish and chips, and hot tea, and to relax and dry myself for the trials ahead.

After the lunch break, I was bored and took a few photos, which the theme would be 'commercial advertisements'
Purence is a brand of mineral water that tastes like refined water with no minerals (in fact, it is 100% pure water with no minerals)

Photobucket

I call this 'As pure as nature'

Photobucket

'Ahead of the game'

Suddenly I was caught onto these photography art form. So I went out of the reserve in search of more artistic sights.

And here is one.

Photobucket

'Barring growth'
The rock is the rules and regulations that stops the tree, which signifys growth and humanity from achieving greater heights.

More beautiful art from others.

Photobucket

Photobucket

These are done by school students. A pity many wil not be able to appreciate its beauty.

I now seek the Kranji Nature Trail. The NParks receptionist says 'Its at the entrance, near the gates.'
But like all NPCs they are hopelessly vague.

Photobucket

Can you spot the entrance?

Photobucket

How about here?
(Answer: Its beside the car, on the left.)

Never trust these operatives again.

Photobucket

And so I brave dangers to enter the realm of the Nature Trail.

And then it starts to rain. Heavily, once more.

And worst yet,

Photobucket

There were crocodiles within this domain. But of course I fear not of these reptiles as they roam in the waters, though the rain will make everything 'the waters' if it floods... I guess I have faith in Fate and Gaia.

Though without reasonable faith and courage, as well as skill, DO NOT try to enter nature trails such as these IN THE RAIN, as there maybe ancient trees that collapses during such storms. And these trees much be falling just above you. Being killed by a falling tree is by no means a honourable event.
This is not to mention the danger of lightning, and other creatures that might seek refuge in the paths of the trail. And some are not friendly looking.
I am a horticulturist as well as an acolyte of Gaia and Fate, and will not be harmed.

Photobucket

Here is a taste of the first part of the trail. This is, I'll say, the only part of the trail that looks like a trail. The rest either looks like a path bashed by jungle-farers, or a rubbish dump path made by factory workers.
Though so, this is a good path, as other then these defects, it is a perfectly natural looking path, that has the darkness of Singapore jungles into it. This is, fairytale glamour and Hollywood magics removed, a reality taste of the real jungle, those that your brothers and fathers fought in when they go NS.

Photobucket

Along the way educational signs like these enlighten me on the different flora that exist in these lands.

Photobucket

A beautiful sight. I call this photo "The brothers wading to the city' The sticks are the brothers as they attempt to cross the sea to the city, in search of a better life.

Photobucket

A beautiful bridge.

Photobucket

Roots of the mangroves, gasping for air, out from the sea. These specialised roots help the trees breathe. They can survive the salty waters of the seas as they have the ability to excrete salts from their leaves, and other parts of their body.

I call this photo 'Singapore', from the shape where its roots take form.

As I was walking I was suddenly stopped by a big pandanus blocking my path. Pandanus, though from the same family as that of the pandan leaf, are much more malicious. There are those in Malaysia that grows to 10-15 metres tal and their thorny sharp serrated leaves are long indeed. These will make any non seasoned farer suffer if they were to brush against them.

But as always, Fate shows the way.

Photobucket

Can you see the hidden path that leads to the other side?

Photobucket

A wooden plank, placed by a good samaritian. Thank Fate.

Along the way suddenly my way was barred by yet another sight. A monitor lizard, about 2 metres long, was resting on the paths. Perhaps it felt my presense, yet he paid me no heed, he slowly slithers away into the bay. My heart nearly dropped and for a second I considered going back the other way. However, I told myself that I cannot go back, I must observe, must see what lies ahead. And its simply not practical to return back as the hour is getting late.

And as I pass this obstacle I saw and incredible sight.

Photobucket

Water hyacinths, fresh water plants, floating in the sea! A border of Different Water seems to lead the way as these water hyacinths float towards the mysterious beyond. The best part is there is the Kelong behind this magnificent rare sight, making it look as though the Kelong is built upon a realm full of these beautiful water plants.

I was warning about fallen trees, didn't I?

Photobucket

Photobucket

A tree did fall. The bottom was beautiful though. As the tree dies it will form a new ecosytem, that which sustains a different set of life. Death and life twirls and coexist side by side, with no breaks in between. A rare sight once again.

Photobucket

Red fruits of a tree, unseen elsewhere. Beautiful, as it fruits along the pathway, as if to present its treasure to the whoever treads these paths.

Photobucket

The end is near, as we reach the grassfields. These fields are full of hidden creatures that use these grasses as shelter, and they contain their prey as well. Best not to tread on them.

Photobucket

As if to keep me in the trail the trail leads to a dark passage that removes light from my vision. It was bleak in there, and as the rain was heavy and it was coming to dark (5.30) even I, an acolyte of Gaia feared these jungles. For without light all manner of dark and shadowy creatures might arise from these depths. For often that which deals death are often alive.

Photobucket

At last! Out of the darkness and back to the light. It is amazing they are the same place. The path, as I say, is hard to spot, and so only those who has come before can return to this place via this entrance.

Photobucket

The paths are wet with puddles, but I wear boots that shield me from certain wetness.

Photobucket

As I reached the end I suddenly spotted another path, that which leads to the right. I decide to go there. Fate has shown a way (quite literally).

Photobucket

Fields of grass drowned in rainwater, emulating that of rice in padi fields.

Mind you, the rain was furious and has not stopped since I walked this trail.

At the end of this hidden path a beautiful and magistic sight awaits me. (I apologise to the few birds which I frightened away)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The flood gates has torrents that rushes towards the seas! A beautiful sight that cannot be seen anywhere else in Singapore! Perhaps in the great dams of China and USA can one see such a sight. Though this is inferior to these great dams of other countries, it is no less wonderful. Waters rushing like rapids across the channel in a ceaseless manner, fueled by the rain and the wind.

But suddenly all becomes clear why Fate lead me here.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The water hyacinths I see just now were from here! They were torn apart by fierce waters and stranded and man handled past the storm gates and into the sea. The sight, if you were there, you will be in awe, like me. It is like nomads of the sea ridding on the waves, seeking out a better world out there beyond the horizon. My heart fills with joy, as well as sadness, as the joy is derived from the happiness of being able to witness this spectacle, yet sadness stem from seeing the eventual death of these fresh water plants.

And so ends my journey.

For this KYO, the main question/revelation would be summed up as 'Appreciation of Life' It is easy to appreciate beauty in form and in shape, but it is not that easy to appreciate life. Take for example, a peacock. For normal man they would appreciate his beautiful and gay plumage, but yet fail to see the rainbow that is the peacock's life. To see past the form and shape and to truly feel and appreciate life: that is the hallmark of a master acolyte of Gaia.

I am sad to say I have yet to appreciate the beauty of life as well. for when I see, I can only see shape and form, and equations of beauty set by greek philosophers and other great men, but they are not near Gaia's graces, for they lack the appreciation of life. The raw, unaltered beauty that is all that are growing. The fire, the spark, the energy that is life.

Only through constant exposure to life's greatest gifts can we finally appreciate it. Those wild men that are at peace with the jungles, those documentary makers who went into the unchartered regions of the Earth, these are man that appreciates life. Those who appreciate life will know the value of each, and thus all become equal to him.

Those who appreciate life are no necessarily those who can make things grow. Those people that make things grow might spend their life doing so, yet find no value in life except that of monetary gains.

Those who appreciate life see each plant as a seperate entity, totally different yet similiar to tis brothers and sisters beside him. The masters can even difference one plant from the other, even though they stem from the same ground and grow in a haphazard manner.

Those who appreciate life appreciates the fauna and the flora, as he knows well their roles in the Web, and thus respect their existence. He can see the energy that exists within all of them, and from that sight witness true beauty.

I guess this is my main getaway from the whole KYO. Perhaps I must harden myself and be more in tune with life, as a whole, not just with plants, but with animals as well, for I have deem them as enemies since long ago. Life has no differentiation. Perhaps then I will be worthy of the greater abilities tht Gaia will bless me with.


alexangelos made an imprint at 3/19/2008 10:08:00 PM

+Tagboard+



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

+Links+
~+Yvonne+~
~+Friendster+~
~+Blogger+~
~+Blogskins+~
~+Magic The Gathering+~
~+Ker HuiLing+:
~+Poems by Me+:
~+Nick Wu+:

+Archives+
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
December 2010
January 2011
February 2011